This year, the International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination is devoted to using of the potential of sport as means for promotion of overcoming of race discrimination.
Polish Ministry of Foreign Affairs sees migration threat in Ukrainians who obtained over 1 million visas | February 21, 2017
Germany plans record number of migrant deportations | February 21, 2017
In Netherlands, ultra-rightists promise “deIslamization” in case of victory | February 21, 2017
Ministry of Social Policy indicates number of IDPs from Donbas and Crimea | February 20, 2017
UN Secretary-General indicates need in organization’s reformation | February 20, 2017
The project of the level of ethnic intolerance monitoring during the election campaign of 2010
The monitoring of the election campaign is carried out based on the analysis of the publications of the Ukrainian print and electronic media, which contain xenophobic statements, positions, official statements of the members of the election campaign - 2010, as well as the describing cases of manifestations of xenophobic and ethnic intolerance.
Purpose of the monitoring:
- To determine the reasons of the rise of xenophobic statements and their impact on the election campaign - 2010.
- To make recommendations on political, legal and media response to the initiative of the authors that have the signs of xenophobic statements.
Task of the monitoring:
- To identify the dominant forms of xenophobia, racism and ethnic intolerance during the election campaign of 2010.
- To identify the main characters who promote the ideas of xenophobia, racism and ethnic intolerance to the representatives of ethnic minorities or to the national cultural communities and racial groups, living in Ukraine as a whole.
- To identify the ways of dissemination of xenophobic ideas in the course of the election campaign - 2010
Matter of the monitoring:
- Official statements or the statements of political parties, politicians, local government, district and regional administrations, the officials of local, district and regional levels, non-government organisations and public figures, as well as of the political parties and their leaders, that have the signs of xenophobic statements.
Authors of xenophobic statements:
Extremist movements, political parties, political leaders, non-government organisations, opinion leaders, journalists, media, as well as local authorities, administrations, councils of district and regional levels, officials of local, district and regional levels.
Representatives of national minorities or ethnic-cultural communities, in whose addresses xenophobic statements or actions of the election campaign members 2010 are stated.
Forms of manifestations of ethnic discrimination:
- Xenophobia - statements, publications or actions of authors that contain explicit calls to physical destruction of national minorities, as well as deportation or territorial isolation of individual ethno-cultural communities.
- National intolerance - words or actions of authors, which are aimed at inciting ethnic hatred.
- Anti-Semitism - manifestation of ethnic intolerance towards members of the Jewish community.
- Crimes motivated by ethnic hatred - a crime, motivated by xenophobic beliefs.
- Actions of law enforcement and government - official reaction (court rulings, local regulations and so on) or informal position (deviation of decision-making, inactivity, non-public support) of government institutions and local authorities to the manifestation of all forms of ethnic and racial intolerance.
Based on the monitoring, the “Report on intolerance manifestations during the election campaign 2010” was compiled, in which the main ideas, which contain signs of xenophobia, authors and recipients of xenophobic ideas, distribution channels of xenophobic ideas and factors that influence their distribution during the election campaign 2010 are classified, as well as the recommendations on political, legal and media response to the manifestation of all form of xenophobia are given.
“Report on intolerance manifestations during the election campaign 2010”
The report is based on empirical data that was obtained during the monitoring.
- To make up a conceptual map of political, economic and social ideas, that contains the signs of xenophobia, racism and ethnic intolerance, taking into account regional specificities.
- To determine political, economic, social, ideological and electoral factors, that affect the dynamics of xenophobic sentiments during the election campaign, the activities of political parties, social and political organisations.
In this connection, 5 analyzed macro-regions are allocated: West - Ivano-Frankivsk, Lviv, Ternopil, Volyn, Rivne regions, West-Center - Transcarpathian, Chernovtsy, Khmelnitsky, Cherkasy, Kyiv regions, Center - Zhytomyr, Chernihiv, Sumy, Poltava , Kirovograd regions, East-South - Kharkov, Zaporozhye, Dnepropetrovsk, Kherson, Nikolayev, Odessa regions, the Crimea; East - Donetsk, Luhansk regions.